Basara, G.; Ozcebe, S.G.; Ellis, B.W.; Zorlutuna, P. Tunable Human Myocardium Derived Decellularized Extracellular Matrix for 3D Bioprinting and Cardiac Tissue Engineering. Gels 2021, 7, 70.
Ren, X., Gomez, J., Bashar, M.K., Ji, J., Can, U.I., Chang, H., Shukla, N., Datta, S. and Zorlutuna, P. (2021), Cardiac Muscle Cell‐Based Coupled Oscillator Network for Collective Computing. Adv. Intell. Syst. 2000253. https://doi.org/10.1002/aisy.202000253
Ozcebe SG, Bahcecioglu G, Yue XS, Zorlutuna P. Effect of cellular and ECM aging on human iPSC-derived cardiomyocyte performance, maturity and senescence. Biomaterials. 2021 Jan;268:120554. doi: 10.1016/j.biomaterials.2020.120554. Epub 2020 Nov 22. PMID: 33296796.
Ellis BW, Traktuev DO, Merfeld-Clauss S, Can UI, Wang M, Bergeron R, Zorlutuna P, March KL. Adipose stem cell secretome markedly improves rodent heart and human induced pluripotent stem cell-derived cardiomyocyte recovery from cardioplegic transport solution exposure. Stem Cells. 2021 Feb;39(2):170-182. doi: 10.1002/stem.3296. Epub 2020 Dec 23. PMID: 33159685; PMCID: PMC7855817.
Uppal G, Bahcecioglu G, Zorlutuna P, Vural D. Tissue Failure Propagation as Mediated by Circulatory Flow, Biophysical Journal, Volume 119, Issue 12, 2020, Pages 2573-2583, ISSN 0006-3495, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bpj.2020.11.004.
Basara G, Saeidi-Javash M, Ren X, Bahcecioglu G, Wyatt G, Anasori B, Zhang Y, Zorlutuna P. Electrically conductive 3D printed Ti3C2Tx MXene-PEG composite constructs for cardiac tissue engineering. Acta Biomaterialia, 2020
Yang, J.; Bahcecioglu, G.; Zorlutuna, P. The Extracellular Matrix and Vesicles Modulate the Breast Tumor Microenvironment. Bioengineering 2020, 7, 124.
Yadav V, Chong N, Ellis B, Ren X, Senapati S, Chang H-C, Zorlutuna P. Constant-potential environment for activating and
synchronizing cardiomyocyte colonies with onchip ion-depleting perm-selective membranes. Lab Chip, 2020, 20, 4273
A. Habib , X. Zhu, U. I. Can, M. L. McLanahan, P. Zorlutuna, and A. A. Yanik, Field-eect electro-plasmonics: a
quantum leap in neurotechnologies. Proc. SPIE 11461, Active Photonic Platforms XII, 1146129, September 4, 2020
A. Habib , X. Zhu, U. I. Can, M. L. McLanahan, P. Zorlutuna, and A. A. Yanik. Electro-Active Plasmonics for
Label-Free Voltage Sensing and Electrophysiology. In IEEE IPC- The Annual Conference of the IEEE Photonics
A. Habib , X. Zhu, U. I. Can, M. L. McLanahan, P. Zorlutuna, and A. A. Yanik. Ultrasensitive Field-Effect
Plasmonics: Electro-Active Probes for Wireless Voltage Sensing and Electrophysiology. In Conference on Lasers and
Electro-Optics, OSA Technical Digest (Optical Society of America), 2020
Bahcecioglu, G., Basara, G., Ellis, B., Ren, X. and Zorlutuna, P., 2020. Breast cancer models: Engineering the tumor microenvironment. Acta Biomaterialia, 106, pp.1-21.
48. S. Chelvanambi, X. Chen, B. Ellis, P. Jolicoeur, P. Zorlutuna, A. Obukhov, S. Gupta, M. Clauss, “HIV-Nef protein transfer to endothelial cells is Rac1 activation dependent and induces endothelial inflammation and dysfunction.” Circulation Research, in press [IF: 15.2]
47. G. Basara, X. Yue, and P. Zorlutuna. "Dual crosslinked gelatin methacrylol hydrogels for photolithography and 3D printing" Gels, in press[IF:2.7]
46. Md. A. Habib, X. Zhu, U.I. Can, M.L. McLanahan, P. Zorlutuna, A.A. Yanik. "Electro-plasmonic nanoantenna for label-free optical detection of electrogenic activity" Science Advances, in press, [IF: 11.5]
45. A. Acun, T.D. Nguyen,P. Zorlutuna. “In vitro aged, hiPSC-origin engineered heart tissue models with age-dependent functional deterioration to study myocardial infarction” Acta Biomaterialia, in press, doi.org/10.1016/j.actbio.2019.05.064[IF: 6.72]
44. P. Contessotto, B. Ellis, C. Jin, N. Karlsson, P. Zorlutuna, M. Kilcoyne, A. Pandit. “Distinct glycosylation in membrane proteins reflects the regeneration potential of neonatal myocardial tissue”, Matrix Biology, in press, doi: 10.1016/j.matbio.2019.05.001 [IF: 7.4]
43. A. Acun,P. Zorlutuna. “CRISPR/Cas9 edited hiPSC-based vascular tissues to model aging and disease-dependent impairment”, Tissue Engineering, in press,doi.org/10.1089/ten.tea.2018.0271[IF: 3.5]
42. N.E. Vrana, A.M. Ghaemmaghami, P. Zorlutuna. “Editorial: Adverse Reactions to Biomaterials: State of the Art in Biomaterial Risk Assessment, Immunomodulation and In Vitro Models for Biomaterial Testing” Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology, in press
41. D. Mason, J. Collins, J. Dawahare, T. Nguyen, Y. Lin, S. Voytik-Harbin, P. Zorlutuna, M. Yoder, and J. Boerckel. “YAP and TAZ limit cytoskeletal and focal adhesion maturation to enable persistent cell motility", Journal of Cell Biology, 2019;218(4):1369-1389[IF: 8.78]
40. T.D. Nguyen, N. Nagarajan, P. Zorlutuna* “Investigating the Effect of Substrate Stiffness on Mechanical Coupling and Contractile Force Propagation at the Myocardial Infarct Boundary” Biophysical Journal, in press [IF: 3.6].
39. X. Yue, T.D. Nguyen, V. Zellmer, S. Zhang, P. Zorlutuna* “Stromal Cell-Laden 3D Hydrogel Microwell Arrays as Tumor Microenvironment Model for Studying Stiffness Dependent Stromal Cell-Cancer Interactions” Biomaterials, 2018;170:37-48 [IF: 8.4]
38. A. YekrangSafakar, A. Acun, J.W. Choi, E. Song, P. Zorlutuna, K. Park. “Hollow microcarriers for large-scale expansion of anchorage-dependent cells in a stirred bioreactor”, Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 2018 Jul;115(7):1717-1728 [IF: 4.48]
37. N. Nagarajan, A. Dupret-Bories, E. Karabulut, P. Zorlutuna*, N. E. Vrana*, “3D Printing Technologies For Enabling Personalised Medical Device And Controllable Biosystem Development”, Biotechnology Advances, 2018, 36(2):521-533 [IF: 10.56]
36. Suma D., Acun A., Zorlutuna P., Vural D.C., “Interdependence Theory of Tissue Failure: Bulk and Boundary Effects”, Royal Society Open Science, 2018, 5(2):171395.
35. Acun, A. and P. Zorlutuna, "Engineered myocardium model to study the roles of HIF-1α and HIF1A-AS1 in paracrine-only signaling under pathological level oxidative stress." Acta Biomaterialia, 2017, 58, 323-336. [PDF]
34. Yue, X., A. Acun, and P. Zorlutuna, "Transcriptome profiling of 3D co-cultured cardiomyocytes and endothelial cells under oxidative stress using a photocrosslinkable hydrogel system." Acta Biomaterialia, 2017,58, 337-348. [PDF]
33. Acun A., Vural D.C., Zorlutuna P*, "A Tissue Engineered Model of Aging: Interdependence and Cooperative Effects in Failing Tissues", Scientific Reports, 2017, 7. [PDF]
32. Ellis B.W., Acun A., Can U.I., Zorlutuna P. “Human iPSC-Derived Myocardium-on-chip with Capillary-like Flow for Personalized Medicine”, Biomicrofluidics, 2017, 11, 024105. [PDF]
31. J. Casey, X. Yue, T. D. Nguyen, A. Acun, V. R. Zellmer, S. Zhang, P. Zorlutuna* “3D Hydrogel-Based Microwell Arrays As A Tumor Microenvironment Model To Study Breast Cancer Growth”, Biomedical Materials, 2017, 12, 0250009.[PDF]
30. Holley M.δ, Nagarajan N.δ, Danielson C., Zorlutuna P*, and Park K.* “Cardiac muscle-cell based actuator and self-stabilizing biorobot - PART 1”, Journal of Visualized Experiments, in press, δ Equal contribution authors, * Co-corresponding authors.
29. Nagarajan N.δ, Holley M.δ, Danielson C., Park K.* and" Zorlutuna P*, “Cardiac muscle-cell based actuator and self-stabilizing biorobot - PART 2”, Journal of Visualized Experiments, in press, δ Equal contribution authors, * Co-corresponding authors.
28. Vyas V., Nagarajan N., Zorlutuna P., Huey B.D. “Nanostethoscopy: Atomic Force Microscopy Probe Contact Force versus Measured Amplitude of Cardiomyocytic Contractions” J. Bionanosci. 2017, 11, 319–322.
27. Can U.I., Nagarajan N., Vural D.C., Zorlutuna P.*, “Muscle Cell-Based 'Living Diodes'” Advanced Biosystems, 2017,1. (Cover article, featured on Advanced Science News). [PDF]
26. Nagarajan N., Vyas V., Huey B., Zorlutuna P.*, “Modulation of the Contractility of Micropatterned Myocardial Cells with Nanoscale Forces using Atomic Force Microscopy”, Nanobiomedicine, 13: 1-13, 2016 (invited feature article). [PDF]
25. Sugiura S., Cha J.M., Yanagawa F., Zorlutuna P., Bae H., Khademhosseini A. “Dynamic three-dimensional micropatterned cell co-cultures within photocurable and chemically degradable hydrogels.” Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, 2016,10, 690.
24. M. Holleyδ, N. Nagarajanδ, C. Danielson, P. Zorlutuna*, and K. Park*, “Development and characterization of muscle-based actuators for self- stabilizing swimming biorobots,” Lab on a Chip, 16 (18), 3473-3484, 2016. (Cover article) δ Equal contribution authors, * Co-corresponding authors.
23. Eslami M., Vrana N.E., Zorlutuna P., Sant S., Jung S., Masoumi N., Khavari-Nejad R.A., Javadi G., Khademhosseini A., “Fiber Reinforced Hydrogel Scaffolds for Heart Valve Tissue Engineering” Journal of Biomaterials Applications, Sep;29(3):399-410, 2014.
22. Bertassoni LE, Cardoso JC, Manoharan V, Cristino AL, Bhise NS, Araujo WA, Zorlutuna P, Vrana NE, Ghaemmaghami AM, Dokmeci MR, Khademhosseini A., “Direct-write bioprinting of cell-laden methacrylated gelatin hydrogels.” Biofabrication. Jun;6(2):024105, 2014.
21. N. Annabi N, S.M. Mithieux, P. Zorlutuna, G. Camci-Unal, A.S. Weiss, A. Khademhosseini “Engineered cell-laden human protein-based elastomer.” Biomaterials. 34: 5496-505, 2013.
20. S.R. Shin, S.M. Jung, M. Zalabany, K. Kim, P. Zorlutuna, S.B. Kim, M.Nikkhah, M. Khabiry, A.M. Masoud, J. Kong, K. Jing, T. Palacios, M. Dokmeci, H. Bae, X. Tang, A. Khademhosseini, “Carbon-Nanotube-Embedded Hydrogel Sheets for Engineering Cardiac Constructs and Bioactuators", ASC Nano, 7(3): 2369-80, 2013.
19. P. Zorlutuna, N.E. Vrana, A. Khademhosseini, “The expanding world of tissue engineering: New building blocks and applications of tissue engineered constructs”, IEEE Reviews in Biomedical Engineering, 6: 47-62, 2013.
18. L. Schukur, P. Zorlutuna, J.M. Cha, H. Bae, A. Khademhosseini, “Directed Differentiation of Size-Controlled Embryoid Bodies Towards Endothelial and Cardiac Lineages in RGD-Modified Poly(Ethylene Glycol) Hydrogels ”, Advanced Healthcare Materials, 2(1): 195-205, 2013.
17. M. Nikkhah, N. Eshak, P. Zorlutuna, N. Annabi, M. Adamo, K. Kim, A. Dolatshahi-Pirouz, F. Edalat, H. Bae, Y. Yang, A. Khademhosseini, “Directed Endothelial Cell Morphogenesis in Micropatterned Gelatin Methacrylate Hydrogels”, Biomaterials, 2012, 33(35):9009-18.
16. P. Zorlutuna, N. Annabi, G. Camci-Unal, M. Nikkah, J.M. Cha, J. Nichol, A. Manbachi, H. Bae, S. Chen, A. Khademhosseini, “Microfabricated Biomaterials for Engineering 3D Tissues”, Advanced Materials, 2012, 24(14), 1782–1804.
15. R. Gauvin, Y. Chen, JW Lee, P. Soman, P. Zorlutuna, J. Nichol, Chen, A. Khademhosseini, “Microfabrication of complex porous scaffolds for tissue engineering applications using 3D projection stereolithography”, Biomaterials, 2012, 33(15), 3824-34.
14. J. Jeong, V. Chan, C. Cha , P. Zorlutuna, C. Dyck , J. Hsia , R. Bashir , H. Kong, “Patterning of functional neovessels using a 'living' microvascular stamp”, Advanced Materials, 2012, 24, 1, 58–63 (cover article).
13. P. Zorlutuna, J. Jeong, H. Kong, and R. Bashir, “Stereolithography-Based Hydrogel Microenvironments for Examining Spatial Cellular Interactions”, Advanced Functional Materials, 2011, 21,19, 3642–3651 (cover article).
12. P. Bajaj, B. Reddy, L. Millet, C. Wei, P. Zorlutuna, G. Bao, R. Bashir, “Patterning the differentiation of C2C12 skeletal myoblasts”, Integrative Biology, 3, 897-909, 2011 (cover article).
11. V. Chan, P. Zorlutuna, J.H. Jeong, H. Kong, R. Bashir, “Three-Dimensional Photopatterning of Hydrogels using Stereolithography for Long-Term Cell Encapsulation”, Lab on a Chip, 10, 2062 – 2070, 2010 (back cover article).
10. P. Zorlutuna, P. Vadgama, V. Hasirci “Both sides nanopatterned tubular collagen scaffolds as tissue-engineered vascular grafts”, Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, 4, 628–637, 2010.
9. P. Zorlutuna*, Z. Rong, P. Vadgama, V. Hasirci, “Influence of Nanopatterns on Endothelial Cell Adhesion: Enhanced Cell Retention under Shear Stress”, Acta Biomaterialia, 5 (7): 2451-2459, 2009.
8. P. Zorlutuna, P.Yılgör, F.B.Başmanav, V.Hasırcı, “Biomaterials and tissue engineering research in Turkey: The METU Biomat Center experience”, Biotechnology Journal, 4 (7): 965-980, 2009.
7. P. Zorlutuna, A. Elsheikh, V. Hasirci, “Nanopatterning of Collagen Scaffolds Improve the Mechanical Properties of Tissue Engineered Vascular Grafts”, Biomacromolecules, 10 (4): 814–821, 2009.
6. P. Zorlutuna, N. Hasirci, V. Hasirci, “Nanopatterned collagen tubes for vascular tissue engineering”, Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine 2(6): 373-377, 2008.
5. C. Ozcan, P. Zorlutuna, V. Hasirci, N. Hasirci, “Influence of Oxygen Plasma Modification on Surface Free Energy of PMMA Films and Cell Attachment”, Macromolecular Symposia 269: 128–137, 2008.
4. P. Zorlutuna, A.Tezcaner, V. Hasirci, “A Novel Construct as a Cell Carrier for Tissue Engineering”, Journal of Biomaterials Science Polymer Edition 19(3): 399-410, 2008.
3. P. Zorlutuna, N. Builles, O. Damour, A. Elsheikh and V. Hasirci, “Influence of keratocytes and retinal pigment epithelial cells on the mechanical properties of polyester-based tissue engineering micropatterned films”, Biomaterials 28 (24), 3489-3496, 2007.
2. V. Hasirci, E. Vrana, P. Zorlutuna, A. Ndreu, P. Yilgor, B. Basmanav, E. Aydin, “Nanobiomaterials; A review of the existing science and technology, and new approaches”, Journal of Biomaterials Science Polymer Edition 17(11):1241-68, 2006.
1. P. Zorlutuna, A.Tezcaner, I. Kiyat, A. Aydinli, V. Hasirci, “Cornea engineering on polyester carriers”. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A. 79(1):104-13, 2006.
5. U. I. Can, N. Nagarajan, and P. Zorlutuna, “Microfabrication of Patterned Co-Cultures for Controllable Cell-Cell Interfaces,” in Microscale Technologies for Cell Engineering, Editor-in-Chiefs: Akhilesh Gaharwar and Ankur Singh, Springer, 2015.
4. Protein Micropatterning Techniques for Tissue Engineering and Stem Cell Research, “Cell and Material Interface: Advances in Tissue Engineering, Biosensor, Implant, and Imaging Technologies”, CRC Press, Editor-in-Chief: Nihal Engin Vrana, 2015.
3. Acun A., Panzo A., P. Zorlutuna, “Hydrogels in controlling stem cell fate” in “Applications of Hydrogels in Regenerative Medicine”, World Scientific Publishing, Editor-in-Chiefs: Ali Khademhosseini and Utkan Demirci, 2015.
2. G. Camci-Unal, P. Zorlutuna, A. Khademhosseini, “Fabrication of microscale hydrogels for tissue engineering applications”, in “Introduction to Biofabrication”, Elsevier Publishing, Editors: Wei Sun and Gabor Forgacs, 2012.
1. N. Annabi, NE. Vrana, P. Zorlutuna, F. Dehghani, A. Khademhosseini, “Engineering Biomimetic Scaffolds” in “Scaffolds for Tissue Engineering: Biological Design, Materials and Fabrication”, Pan Stanford Publishing, Editors: Antonella Motta and Claudio Migliaresi, 2012.